18-150mm vs 40mm 2.8 STM - not good for the 18-150

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,203
Re: 18-150mm vs 40mm 2.8 STM - not good for the 18-150

kb1dqh wrote:

Final conclusion! I returned my 18-150 and got a new copy. I really think it's a lot better. Take a look here. These are all crops based on the same original scene in the first post.

18-150 original copy

18-150 new copy

32 1.4 M lens (in love with it)

40mm 2.8 stm

18-150 original copy

18-150 new copy

32mm test

40mm test

And remember these were taken from the following scene. Each shot is unique, i.e. I took one for each focus point, yet results are consistent.

Lesson: There are copy variations in the 18-150. I think the new one is much better than before and, although not as good as the primes, not as different as before.

The crops from the new copy do look better than the old ones. The lighting is different, though too. Shutter speeds on the new ones are 1/2 and 2/5, but 1.3 sec on the old one (for same aperture and ISO). So there was over a stop more light for the second shots. I don't know whether that would affect the results, but it might (perhaps some camera movement during the 1.3 sec exposures?).

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow