Catalina anyone?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,542
Re: Catalina anyone?

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Blimey, you're really trying hard to break your system completely here. Why are you trying to delete these drives until you understand why they're there?

Catalina changed the way it stores data on the boot drive. It now creates a split volume, one for the critical System files, and one for the normal user data, if you look in Disk Utility you'll see two volumes like this listed under the main drive ID.

The actual problem here is much smaller and more minor than is being described, and the description is not completely accurate.

First of all, nothing will "break" by "deleting" those items from the Sidebar. Everything in the Sidebar is a shortcut, so the original is unaffected, and deleting an item is always reversible. If you accidentally delete something from the Sidebar, just open Finder/Preference and select the Sidebar tab. The volumes you "deleted" will be listed under "Locations" but unchecked. Click their checkboxes and they will reappear in the sidebar.

Second, the duplicates shown in the screen shot are not representative of the multiple system volumes in Catalina. If they were Catalina volumes, one would be named "[disk name]" and the second would be named "[disk name] - Data", as they are in Disk Utility. But the screen shot shows they are all the same name. And there are not two, but three. That is a volume alias duplication resulting from a different unknown cause.

For what it's worth I saw a similar problem in Mojave. For a time, I saw two aliases of my boot hard drive in the Sidebar. I never figured out what caused it, and it cleared up over time.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow