The lens I intended never to buy: Fuji's XF 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 R LM OIS

Started Oct 30, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,879
The lens I intended never to buy: Fuji's XF 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 R LM OIS

Having been taught to despise all "kit lenses" (especially Nikon's endless stream of f/slow 18mm-infinity "consumazooms") by my previous system manufacturer who shall remain nameless, when I switched to the Fuji system 3yrs ago, I swore never to buy Fuji's 18-55... Well, with the release of the X-T3 and the X-Pro3, it became clear to me that I wouldn't be getting an IBIS bodied Fuji for a few more years (X-H1 is a bit large for my tastes), so I finally broke down and picked up a $280 used copy as a convenient option for my glovebox camera (the X-Pro1) and a hand-held video option for my X-T2. I wandered out into the garden today to try it out - Optically nice, weird aperture ring, compact and sharp, but noticeably slower focusing than my 16-55 f/2.8 and Fujicron f/2.0 primes. Out of focus areas seem less pleasant than my other lenses too, but I haven't shot a lot with it yet, so maybe it'll grow on me. The OIS, compactness, excellent reputation, and low price were the primary selling points for me.  I wouldn't want to pay full retail ($699 USD) for one though.

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +41 more
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Zoom lens • Fujifilm X • 16276479
Announced: Sep 6, 2012
BryceM's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow