GFX 50r vs GFX 100 Shoot Out!

Started Oct 28, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041
GFX 50r vs GFX 100 Shoot Out!

I was bored today because I'm not in Mexico shooting as I was planning to be, so I was sitting here in San Antonio watching the overcast skies out the window and vacuuming the condo because I lost a bet with Teresa.

So I threw down the vacuum cleaner in utter disgust after 35 minutes of forced domestic servitude and grabbed my GFX 50r, GFX 100, 45, 250 and RRS tripod and took the elevator up to my condo roof on the 14th floor. I decided to conduct a scientific experiment. 😎 Just kidding of course, but I did want to start forming in my mind the difference between the two cameras as far as what I saw in terms of just pure resolution, or whatever term you care to use to describe what you see when you pixel-peep at 1:1 and even 1:2 in LR on a big 32 inch 4k pro monitor.

Anyway, I set up the tripod and shot the GFX 100 with the 45 mounted and then the 50r with the 45 on the same tripod setting and at the same city scene. I did this three times at three different scenes using the 45 and 250 switching them between the GFX 100 and 50.

All shots were tripod mounted at base ISO, F8 using the same single focus point on the same spot with both cameras. The speed changed between shots because the sun was coming in and out of heavy clouds behind me in the late afternoon so the EV changed a bit with ISO set at 100 and the aperture at F8. I had a really nice histogram on all these shots - practically a bell curve and I didn't do much in post. Default sharpening, which is probably too high.

I rushed back to my studio PC and anxiously started pixel-peeping the results.

Side note: I continue to be astounded by the res, IQ and detail of the GFX 50r as you study distance license plates, items in windows, brick, pedestrians, street signs and other small details that you can't even see with the naked eye. It is amazing and I'm telling you - I don't see it at that level of astounding awesomeness with my high-res FF camera (not tested here, and I absolutely love my Leica Q2).

Then I peep the GFX 100 details. Man of Man on Man. Good Lord Almighty!

The GFX 100 is obviously better but not by a huge margin in these shots. You probably won't be able to tell on the full-size exported at 100% quality JPEGs. But you can on the raw RAF files. You can indeed (as they say in the UK).

This is totally unscientific. All kinds of variables I could have screwed up here. I just did it for fun and to see for myself the difference in res between two of the best cameras in the World - one 50 MP and the other 100MP and with a more "modern" sensor. I know results will vary as I shoot different apertures in different situations.

Of course this did not consider the obvious IBIS advantages of the 100 because I shot all of these on a tripod. On the GFX 100, IBIS was on and so was the OIS on the 250 when I mounted it. I know that many say to turn that off on a tripod but I left it on.

I gotta tell you though … You Fuji and Hassy owners who are shooting the GFX 50r sensor have reason to be very happy, in my opinion. And you GFX 100 owners (like me)? You are frikin' insane, just like me. I mean seriously.... You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

But you know what? I don't care. If I didn't have the GFX 100 right now and had the money, I would run out and buy it again. Absolutely.

But if I don't have the money, would I recommend that you save up and scratch and claw and buy one vs paying off my mortgage or sending my kids to college? Hmmmmm. 🤔 No. Please don't go crazy.  Try to maintain your sanity into your old age.

GFX 100 with the 45

GFX 50r with the 45

GFX 100 with the 250

GFX 50r with the 250

GFX 100 with the 250

GFX 50 with the 250

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow