24mm F1.8 S disappointment

Started Oct 28, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jay A Senior Member • Posts: 2,477
24mm F1.8 S disappointment

I purchased this lens yesterday thinking based on a review that I read, that it might be a nice improvement in image quality over the 14-30 at 24mm. Not that the zoom is a bad lens, it isn't but I have thought that while very convenient and very capable, it's just not as stellar a lens as the 24-70 nor any of the primes. The review that I read claimed that the 24 was on par with the 50 which I think is the best Z lens to date.

Well, upon doing some comparisons with the 14-30, I have concluded that owning both makes no sense unless 1.8 is needed. What I am finding is that while yes, the 24 is ever so slightly the better performer, the difference is so small as to go practically unnoticed unless viewing at 100% or larger and the edge sharpness at least when stopped down to 5.6 is actually not very good at all.

Here is a shot I did yesterday taken at 5.6. This was PP a bit in Photoshop with some small unsharp masking. Pay particular attention to the lower right and left corners. I just think that a $1000 prime at what should be its best aperture should do better.

Any comments? Am I just expecting too much and being too critical? To me, the results from the 50 and the 85 are stunning. This though leaves me thinking that I am not really gaining anything over the 14-30 or the 24-70.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow