Chasing unnecessary perfection

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
UppercanadianAcadian Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: Chasing unnecessary perfection

kcdogger wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

You've taken the picture, Maybe cropped a bit and maybe done some processing and you are pleased with the result. It looks great on the screen and will print to a decent size, maybe A4/letter. You hit the magnifying glass and sure enough noise is showing and maybe even some unpleasant artefacts none of which showed before you peeked closer. Do you care? Does it ruin your experience? Is it better never to pixel peep because whatever the camera you will always find something you don't like?

Agreed. A lot depends upon how much of your life is dedicated to photography. As a competitive target shooter (yes, with rifles) I found I'd improve in small "jumps." The line of improvement was never straight. No matter how hard I'd try, my scores would always be within a few points of each other. Then suddenly, for no apparent reason, they'd jump to a new level and all again would be within a few points of each other - and so it went. (Yes. I kept a record of every shot - and there were several million of them.)

The other thing I noticed was that the law of diminishing returns was always at work. If I practiced five hours a day consistently, my scores might go up on average, maybe 5 points. But adding another 3 hours daily (8 hours total daily), my additional improvement might be only three points. Add another three hours and it might increase another one point. I simply did not have time in the day to practice long enough to add the 3-4 points to my score to compete at the world level. I got good, really good, but never THAT good.

Same with photography. If you live and breathe photography, you will get better and become really good. But unless you dedicate your entire life and almost every waking hour to photography, you will never become world class. Some do, and good for them, but to be really, really good at ANYTHING requires a dedication to do little or nothing else with your life.

Why don't I post pictures? Well, some twit will undoubtedly find some noise or whatever in the corner and think it makes a difference. If the picture has a good composition, an interesting subject matter, and is well exposed, that should be good enough. I simply do not have the time to worry about that little bit of noise in the corner and to talk about it, defend it, worry about it, or obsess over it - or whatever.

I gave up target shooting and got married, raised kids, went to work, went on vacations, etc., instead of practicing my craft 12-15 hours a day and shooting in meets every weekend. Same with photography.

I'm fairly good, better than most, but not great by any means, but I HAVE A LIFE, of which photography plays a part, but not the major or obsessive part. ....and I could care less about that little noise (or whatever) in the corner or what someone else thinks about it.

Peace.

John

It seems to me that your target shooting analogy is almost 100% quantitative where hours of work will provide increased skill that is very obviously undebatable, whereas I doubt there would be any type of consensus on what makes a photographer better than others

UppercanadianAcadian's gear list:UppercanadianAcadian's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow