18-150mm vs 40mm 2.8 STM - not good for the 18-150

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,649
Re: 18-150mm vs 40mm 2.8 STM - not good for the 18-150

kb1dqh wrote:

Andy01 wrote:

kb1dqh wrote:

Ok - I didn't know the 40mm 2.8 STM was so highly regarded. I suppose a 2.8 prime is easier to make. Perhaps unreasonable expectations.

Sounds like the 15-45 wouldn't be any better than this at 40mm either. If it was, I'd potentially swap them out.

I would be gobsmacked if the 15-45mm did any better - it is well "known" as the worst performing EF-M lens.

I find that my 24-105L ii on 6D ii is not as sharp as my 35mm f2 IS on 6D ii - what a surprise :-). So I am not in the slightest bit surprised that the 18-150mm superzoom is not quite as sharp as a prime lens.

I agree with the others - I think the 18-150mm has preformed quite well here. It was never designed as a super-sharp at all focal lengths and apertures zoom lens. It was designed as a versatile walk around lens that performs to an acceptable level across the range.

I think that all of these shots are at an acceptable level, and the "softness" is only apparent when pixel peeping at extremely detailed subjects like text. I don't believe that it was ever designed with that level of scrutiny in mind.

For the record, I did a few comparisons of shots taken on my old 70D + 24-105L (original) compared to M5 + 18-150mm and found that the M combo was at least as good as the 70D + L combo.

A lot of people poo-poo the 18-150mm - I actually think that my copy performs rather well, as does I think yours.

Colin

PS. I did note the timber floors and 1.3 second shutter speed - I assume a tripod and absolutely no movement in the house by anyone or anything ?

Thanks Colin. I see what you're saying, but I was hoping for more given how expensive. The 35mm f2 costs $550. The 40 2.8 stm costs $130. I didn't think a $130 lens would look so much better to my eye (compared to the 18-150).

this is one reason i like canon ..thay have some cheap lenses that work exceptionally well .like the EF-m22 about £130 in the UK its slightly sharper than the Sony Zeiss 24f1.8,,,that's a £800 GBP lens ,,the EF-s 24mmstm pancake is a cracker as well.. as is theEF-s 55-250stm  for its price  and the  EF-s 10-18mm ...no one has a lens like the M 11-22 at that price that's size and that sharp

It's not just the sharpness - look at the cutting board on the left wall above the water bottle. So much more contrast and detail with the 40 2.8.

I am using a manfrotto o55xprob - built for my 6D + 200 2.8 and I'm the only one home. Plus these are 6 different images and in each set I see a similar variance.

I wish there was something like the 40 2.8 quality with the 24-70 (full frame equiv) range, if not to the 105mm level. Here's to wishing.

I might keep the kit, but I'm not sure. The camera w/o the lens doesnt' come with the viewfinder and it sounds like the 15-45 won't fare better and all else equal, the range is nice.

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me its bad i know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
Political correctness....somebody being offended on someone else's behalf....who that someone doesn't give a damn in the first place ....David Appleton.
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will  tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton
..................................................................................................
quoting irrefutable facts may get you branded a racist ..even if no race is involved .......David Appleton
.....................................................................................................

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow