Chasing unnecessary perfection

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 8,246
Re: Chasing unnecessary perfection

I almost never pixel peeped before I joined DPR seven years ago. If became something ome almost needed to do in order to defend IQ against the brilliant marketing scheme of making so-called FF the standard. Other than that, no one other myself pixel peeps my images - unless of course they are posted on DPR 😃

Getting back to the question. I shoot 99% of my images at ISO 200 using pro level glass and am a veteran of old school, pre-stabilization technique, and I know how to select an appropriate focus target. So my images are almost always sharp.

That said, there are roughly two types of shooting when I need to check for sharpness in my camera to be sure. First is when I shoot flowers or butterflies or bees. I often shoot those using my 40-150 Pro lens zoomed out to 150mm and an aperture between f/2.8 and f/4 for a narrow DOF and subject isolation. My technique is good but there is often subject movement from wind or bust bees refusing to stay still. So I must check to be sure I got focus on my intended subject. I do my part but those subject like to taunt me. So I need to zoom in check focus....

The second case when I field pixel peep is when I shoot long exposures handheld. For example, last week I was shooting waterfalls on a dark and cloudy day, perfect light for this subject and I had  CPL and 3-stop ND stacked on my PL 8-18. Shutter speeds are between 1-3 seconds. EM1.2 IBIS is fantastic but nevertheless, unless I can brace my self against a tree I tend to move about. So I might have to shoot the same thing several times to get a sharp result.

I also recently upgraded my 9 year old 15” MBP to a 21” iMac so much more resolution to see my pictures at their best. That said, I do not ever worry about about achieving unnecessary perfection. Great camera, great lenses, great software (DxO Lab) so any problems come down to sloppy technique or poor settings - and that is extremely rare. Botton line, it’s all good 🤗

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow