18-150mm vs 40mm 2.8 STM - not good for the 18-150

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,649
Re: 18-150mm vs 40mm 2.8 STM - not good for the 18-150

kb1dqh wrote:

I bought the 18-150mm (included in my M6 ii kit) in hopes it would rival my old 24-105 mark 1 (good copy). I sold that lens, but I still have my 40mm 2.8 STM, a lens I'd say is comparable to the 24-105 at 40mm. See results below. Do I have a bad copy of the 18-150 or is this expected? I'm pretty close to returning... maybe the 15-45mm is better? As great as primes are, zoom is helpful when backpacking / hiking.

All on trip at f7.1 at 40mm. I'll show the full images and then the crops of the focus point. I used Lightroom as my raw editor, no adjustments.

40 2.8 focused on the portland sign

15-150 focused on Portland sign

40mm crop

18-150 crop

40mm focused on yellow pillow

18-150 yellow pillow

40mm

18-150

40mm on elephant

18-150 on elephant

40mm crop

18-150mm crop

Thoughts?

i think the 18-150 is putting up a good show ..you are compering a super zoom to a slow prime.....the 18-150 is close to the 24-105 but but not as good  ...as you may expect evan throw the 24-105 is not the sharpest L zoom

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me its bad i know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
Political correctness....somebody being offended on someone else's behalf....who that someone doesn't give a damn in the first place ....David Appleton.
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton
..................................................................................................
quoting irrefutable facts may get you branded a racist ..even if no race is involved .......David Appleton
.....................................................................................................

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow