G1X Mark II vs G1X Mark III lens?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,892
G1X Mark II vs G1X Mark III lens?

I know there are many diff's and the M3 outdoes the M2 in many respects, BUT, I reckon the biggest step back is the lens in the M3. The M2 had an awesome 24 to 120mm F2.0 to F3.9, while the 3 has a miserly 24 to 72mm F2.8 to F5.6 why did canon do this I wonder the sensor size cannot be the only option, can it? the M2 sensor is very close in size to APS-C yet its lens blows the M3 away, and based on reviews the M2's lens was a very good one. Even at 72mm with the M3 at F5.6 the M2 is at F3.5, the iso difference is 3 or 4 full stops slower at 72mm on the M3 and the M2 still has 50mm odd more zoom to go and even at 120mm its at f3.9. Just weird, am sure some has to do with size as the lens diameter and size on the M2 is way bigger, and maybe Canon were going for a more compact design...?

My curiosity cos I just got an as new M2 for $260 which is an absolute steal imho, and the IQ is really a surprise, its really good right through the zoom range. Heavy to but VERY solid.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR 808 +6 more
Canon EOS M3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow