Transfering 35mm negative to digital form? Some more information about this?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul P K
Paul P K Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: Question re digital ICE / cleaning old slides

jonathanj wrote:

Paul P K wrote:

Andreascy wrote:

Hello . I want some information about converting 35mm to digital.

... [snip]...

At the moment I'm in the process of, just for 'fun' (even if it's quite laborious and dare I say at times a bit boring), scanning part of the (several, probably tens of thousands) of negatives and slides of pictures (35mm and medium format) I took in the 80's and 90's

...[snip]...

I eg avoid the Digital ICE Technology and Color Restauration (Dutch : Kleur Herstel) option, in additional made somecustom output sizes, and avoid scanning b/w negatives in the 'recommended 'Gray' tones profile ( I choose B/W monochrome, in combination with the sRGB color profile, which I convert to B/W in Nikon Capture 2.4.6, see below)

Hope you don't mind if I bump this thread to ask a question. What was your findings regarding Digital ICE that made you decide not to use it? I have a dedicated film scanner that does *not* have Digital ICE (the Plustek OptiFilm 7400) and quite a lot of very old slides (several thousand). I am wondering if it is worth "upgrading" to a model that has ICE. Below is an example photo - do you think ICE would be any good at cleaning this up, or would be ineffective, or would make things worse?

Yemen - 1979. Ignore the watermarks, I can't find my license key so am using the trial version for now.

A little more context - I originally purchased the scanner for scanning 35mm negatives taken by my parents, and myself as a child. It worked fine for this, I scanned a few thousand negatives (extremely slowly, but there was no hurry), and put the scanner away in case it came in useful later. I also scanned a couple of boxes of slides but my parents didn't shoot much slide film. Some of the older negatives were quite dirty but those were typically the older ones that weren't very well shot in the first place, so the scanner was not the limiting factor.

Recently my grandfather has passed away and I would like to scan some of his photos to share with the family. He shot with more skill and better equipment and almost exclusively slide film, and so I now have thousands of slides dating back to the 70s in some cases, when he traveled extensively in the Middle East. The slides have been through a lot in the intervening years, and most are like the one above - dirt marks (mould?) on the film. This is after very lightly dusting the slide, and I also tried dabbing with some liquid film cleaner that made very little difference - obviously I'm reluctant to scrub away in case it does more harm than good.

He was also a keen birdwatcher which unfortunately means a lot of shots are against a light blue sky...

Is this as good as I'll get, do you think? Any point getting a more expensive scanner with Digital ICE?

Sorry for my late reaction

My problem with ICE is based in the fact that most of my 35mm shots are done on 35mm Tri-X, which, at least the way I shot, often resulted in grainy/noisy shots (not a thing I mind though, on the contrary)

I found that Digital ICE tended to 'retouch' that grain, resulting in less sharp and blurryreproduction of the area's which previously just were grainy, not an effect I like

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

Paul P K's gear list:Paul P K's gear list
Nikon D1H Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow