Do-it-all camera backpack

Started Oct 22, 2019 | Discussions thread
koweb Contributing Member • Posts: 524
Re: Do-it-all camera backpack

gurraglaa wrote:

mattspace wrote:

I’m currently travelling with a mindshift firstlight 20l, having left my peak design 20l at home. Main reasons, the peak design really doesn’t have a harness system that’s up to the task for all day walking when it’s as loaded as it’s capacity allows, and the top closure just isn’t that secure when it’s expanded to its full capacity - it’s a flat lid over an open end.

the peak design’s side entry though is really useful, I can put a full frame DSLR with 14-24, and a travel tripod inside the bag, along with a big speedlight and some odds and ends, so it makes a great way to carry a full kit discreetly, without looking like a boxy strappy camera bag.

That is actually a really important point that I have overlooked. A harness system on a hike or other days when I need to carry a full backpack for extended periods is a valuable feature.

I agree with Mattspace... the straps are relatively thin, and the waist support is almost non existent. (also agree you cannot fill the top section too full as it negates the really brilliant design of the top flap and latch system). So, if carrying a fully loaded backpack for long hikes or all day urban walks is important, there are better options.

On the other hand, I like that I can load it up for trips to the airport and hotel, then unload half or more of the weight and have a great sleek setup for all day hikes. Removing things like the laptop, iPad, chargers, extras, etc, means it really does transform it into a workable all day pack, and the lack of support system is less important.

Now, back to your original title, a "Do-it-all backpack"...that's what made me decide on the PD 20L ... with others I got a great hiking backpack with support system that was comfortable but access to gear was not convenient, or they held so much that no matter the comfort they just were too heavy after awhile (I have 3 in this category; the biggest is 45L, ouch!). Or I had a pack that was convenient to use but too small to hold most of my gear. To me, the PD 20L was the happy medium and is why I recommend it as a do-it-all backpack.

I do understand that even with a do-it-all goal, your priorities may be entirely different than mine, and I like that you are getting lots of feedback from people who can say why they chose what they did. Great thread, and hope it helps you decide!

-- hide signature --

Bradk
"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" - Mark Twain

koweb's gear list:koweb's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow