85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
whoosh1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Re: 85mm 1.8 S vs 85mm 1.4 G lens comparison

stimmer wrote:

Yes, setting exactly the same. It was a super quick shoot. I just threw it on aperture priority and shot. I thought I had it on auto iso but maybe not. I agree a faster shutter speed would help.

my thoughts are that I’m more impressed with my 85 1.4 than i thought I would be.

Yes - seems to me that the 85mm f/1.4G looks more pleasing (I know many people will ding it as not sharp or some other optical tests). I know the test is a bit unscientific - but most shots with a fast 85mm are not going to be on tripod anyway - and at least some shots will be a little hurried (not with the best of shot disciplines).

Doesn’t make sense for me to keep both so I have a hard decision ahead.

Thanks for posting. Of course the decision to make for you would be whether it is OK to sell 85mm f/1.4G with a fair amount of depreciation, yet still be comparable with the 85mm f/1.8S in price. If you value portability, then 85mm f/1.8S is a no-brainer. If on the other hand, build quality, etc. are your thing then a somewhat older 85mm f/1.4G may likely still withstand more rough treatment and may last longer.

whoosh1's gear list:whoosh1's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow