Z-mount lens discounts coming (USA on the 24th)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Iron Eagle
Iron Eagle Regular Member • Posts: 253
Re: Z-mount lens discounts coming (USA on the 24th)

shuncheung wrote:

Iron Eagle wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

Iron Eagle wrote:

Looks like they can't give 'em away.

Yup, the D850 is $500 off as well, so they must not be able to give those away either.

D850 is a few years old now, but to be fair, I doubt Nikon is selling many more of them nowadays. Last I saw, DSLR sales were down like 44% or something.

The D850 was announced in July 2017. It is a bit over two years old. Recall that there was some shortage in the US for about a full year, which finally ended one year ago. Nikon started discounting the D850 back in January 2019 starting from $200 and then $300. The current $500 off with an MB-D18 grip thrown in is the deepest discount so far.

One big problem is, the D850 is basically the culmination of decades of DSLR refinements. It's the pinnacle of DSLRs, and most people could shoot it for the foreseeable future with existing F-glass. Sure, I might switch to Z someday, but it's a real hard sell. I need much better reasons than Nikon is giving.

Wait till you need the Canon 1Dx Mark 3 and Nikon D6. Yes, I know those pro bodies will be more than twice as expensive as the D850, but DSLRs are still improving. It should be clear that sports/action photography will continue to be dominated by DSLRs, at least for another few years. That was why Canon introduced new EF-mount 600mm/f4 and 400mm/f2.8 lenses a year ago, and Nikon has a new 120-300mm/f2.8 in the F mount coming.

I wouldn't buy one of those huge bodies even if they cost a reasonable price.  Way too big and heavy.

Iron Eagle's gear list:Iron Eagle's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow