Little Backup Box: Card Backup High Performance, Low Cost

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,331
Re: Little Backup Box: Card Backup High Performance, Low Cost

zman500 wrote:

After looking at this very good idea, the main issue I am having is I want to use 2 USB 3.0 drives and 1 USB 3.0 card reader and that needs 3 USB 3.0 ports on the Pi and it only has 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports.

Yes a solution would be is use a externally powered 2 port USB 3.0 hub for the 2 SSD drives going into 1 of the USB 3.0 ports and then use the last USB 3.0 port for the card reader, and other than more items is when you use a USB hub you cut the read/write speed in half, where when you have 2 separate USB 3.0 ports you don't loose that 50% as they share the same data path way.

By having 3 USB 3.0 ports is the fastest way to copy 1 card to 2 drives at the same time, and yes you could just use 1 drive at a time but that would mean only that you would need to do this process 2x per card. I know this is the Pi design and maybe the next gen Pi will have 3 or 4 usb 3.0 ports but that maybe a few years away?

So items needed to do 2-SSD drives and 1 card reader.

1-Pi w/Ac power adapter

1-USB 3.0 Hub w/Ac power adapter

2-USb 3.0 SSD or Hard drives

1-USB card reader

Nice portable backup solution right? But unless I missed something will this unit backup to 2 drives at the same time?

Zman

UPDATE: Well bad news from the creator of this software, "

The reason for the notice is simple: adding a hard disk via a powered USB hub introduces a whole new level of complexity and makes the setup difficult to troubleshoot. Since I work on Little Backup Box in my spare time, I don’t have resources to support the external hard disk + USB hub scenario.

Kind regards,
Dmitri"

So at this time you can only use 1 backup SSD or HD, so you will need to do it 2 times.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from.  I’m not sure there is any solution on the mkt that does that double copy across 3 USB ports and on independent channels.  Partly also because of the USB power issue (even over USB C). I do sometimes want to do the same double backup when I need to recycle XQD cards (not that often as I have 5 64GB cards) on longer trips.  The approach I’ve used is to keep it simple and just do 2 sequential backups to different SSDs.  The relatively fast backup doesn’t make it much of a chore in practice and it keeps the complexity low.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow