Fuji gets titanium, Olympus gets...plastic?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,247
Re: enough with the metal obsession

Photo Pete wrote:

TomFid wrote:

Are you going to pound nails with your camera?

Personally, I'm happy to have polycarbonate. It won't frost up as much in cold weather, and the black edges won't wear off.

I'm much more worried about breaking a lens, lens mount, LCD panel, or control dial than I am about breaking the body itself.

I admit that there's a certain allure to the feel of metal, but I don't think it's particularly rational, and I don't need it to stroke my ego.

Having products which feel good when you use them is nothing to do with ego. Of course, if you want to brag about what you can afford then better built products can help you do that too if you wish.

personally, I think that using significant amounts of plastic to construct a camera which costs £1000 is a really silly cost saving measure.... and if the use of the plastic is also used to create a lot of decorative frippery in the mouldings then it shows a real lack of class.

I would agree with you if there was any evidence that plastic was an inferior material, i.e. more likely to break by any significant margin. Absent that (I'm all ears), I think use of metal for metal's sake is in itself decorative frippery.

I don't really care one way or the other, because plus or minus $100 wouldn't change my thinking. But I'm kind of amazed that people are simultaneously outraged by the high price, and outraged by the use of plastic, and drooling over a hyper-expensive, exotic metal alternative that omits crucial features. Maybe these are not the same people.

TomFid's gear list:TomFid's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow