Fuji gets titanium, Olympus gets...plastic?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 25,026
Re: Fuji gets titanium, Olympus gets...plastic?

absquatulate wrote:

LoneTree1 wrote:

New Fuji has a titanium (skin?) body. Nice to see that coming back from the SLR days. Yes, I know. The Fuji costs more. Quality instead of cost-cutting usually does.

I used to have the Fuji 55-200mm lens, which was of metal construction, which made it heavier, though it was nicely built. That is until I dropped the camera bag it was in, and something was damaged inside the lens, making it stiffer and noisier to zoom. I've done similar with other plastic composite lenses and never had an issue. After that my enthusiasm for modern metal lens designs cooled significantly. Most of my legacy lenses are made of metal, some of them beautifully so ( Takumars in particular ), but if I drop them, as I did in the case of an OM 28mm F2.8, they're toast. They don't bounce and they don't cope with the impact like a decent composite lens can. Moral of the story? be careful what you wish for, pretty doesn't mean robust.

i would say the moral of the story is to stop dropping your camera gear

-- hide signature --

"My chances of being PM are about as good as the chances of finding Elvis on Mars, or my being reincarnated as an olive."

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow