See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,745
Re: Reality

Guy Parsons wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

From your outline, it seems to me that what one would consider the low end of the model (Pro Pens excluded) a poor investment for Olympus. Yet, often it is trumpeted on this forum that what Olympus needs is a cheaper offering. But, if they cannot make a profit on cheaper model, either because they are incapable of designing one that will sell well, or the manufacturing is too costly, I suspect all that haranguing about “cheaper” is just futile.

People here need to realise that the era of cheap and good cameras is over, from now on to get "good" cameras it will be an excursion to better featured and tending to very expensive. It's the only way that camera makers may survive. The collapse in camera sales came way harder and faster than any of the camera makers expected.

Agreed.

I also think that those new cheaper Canon and  Nikon Mirrorless bodies are actually somewhat low margin loss leaders to entice current DSLR users to switch to Mirrorless. The actual profit is in all the new native lenses that will be purchased, once the new Mirrorless owner realizes that the adapted lens route is negating a lot of the advantages of both the older lens and the new Mirrorless body.

M43 has a mature lens line up and a lot of us have a pretty complete set of lenses, so not a big profit pot available there. The profit needs to come from each new camera, and that means a higher price (margin)

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow