Does your personal taste match

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 2,313
Re: I never do that....

Aaron801 wrote:

Dan Marchant wrote:

I never shoot something because I think it will fit a popular trend. In fact I actively stay away from that and also avoid visiting popular photo destinations. - If I do ever go to Agra I will photograph the rubbish bins around the back of the Taj Mahal).

I only shoot stuff I like and which has a meaning to me (even if that meaning is so obscure no one else will get it). I certainly notice that some images I like but which I feel are weak are more popular than ones I think are much stronger. The fact that I tend to stay away from "beautiful" subjects and focus on the ordinary (but try to find something interesting in it) does make it harder for me to work out if anyone is going to like a particular image... so I don't try. The surprise of finding out if people will react/not react is part of the fun.

You and I have a pretty similar philosophy on photography (and maybe of art in general). Firstly, we both seem to agree that the creation of image (or as I would say "art") is really a personal journey and is all about figuring out what's meaningful to you... and not about trying to get into the heads of the folks who might be viewing the images later. Secondly, both of us feel that art is not necessarily about beauty, but about ideas and personal expression. The idea that art has to be beautiful seems unnecessarily limiting, just as would every novel having to have a happy ending. I'd also say that the idea of beauty is more complex than a lot of folks give it credit for. Something can be a bit jarring and ugly (or even as you say, "ordinary") while still being beautiful, I believe. Someone once commented on one of my photos on Flickr that it was all at once beautiful and ugly, which was about the best compliment that I could have gotten as that's pretty much what I go for much of the time with my photography. I think that the combo of those two elements often results in some of the most compelling images...

Art and photography should be beautiful. O novel being sad, not having a happy end doesn't imply it shouldn't be beautiful. A classical masterpiece might be sad, melancholic but still beautiful. A photograph might have an ugly subject but still be beautiful.

Beauty is more about the way you construct something, the way you tell as story.

If anything, art and photography shouldn't be boring.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow