Foggy/pixelated images Nikon D70

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP BrokenCrayons New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Not the way to do it!

This is not the way to do it!

Ideally you should be using a proper macro lens that will give you at least a 1:1 reproduction ratio (i.e. lifesize magnification) and possibly 2:1 (two times lifesize 'magnification'). The 28-80mm is not a brilliant lens - at least, mine wasn't.

Well, it's what I have. I am not a hobbyist and I am not a professional. I am trying to get a clear photo.

You should not be trying to 'enlarge' the image taken: aim for achieving the right size image at the point of taking the photograph in the first place and for proper macro photography never use autofocus.

The image has to be enlarged. It will not be viewed at normal size. Unless I had some type of microscope camera (low level) I wouldn't be able to get the view I'm wanting.

Second. I *can't* get that close. This is a living animal that exists in sea water. I am limited by a piece of glass between me and it. Granted the animal is as close as possible without impeding it, it's still in the water. Above shots aren't any better because of distortion and I still can't submerge the lens.

One does not 'select' depth of field. DOF is an attribute or consequence of chosen aperture and reproduction ratio. Use aperture priority and see what the image looks like at F8 to F11. You may need to decrease this to F22 although the increased depth of field comes at the cost of image degradation due to diffraction.

As I said before, I have tried doing the image at many, many different F settings as well as ISO and using the fastest shutter that I can when the image is visible and not dark.

Macro photography at this kind of magnification makes use of a tripod mandatory and look to your lighting as well: flash is usually necessary and will help make your final image look nice and contrasty (less fog, sharper outlines).

As I also said. Yes, I used a tripod. Yes I used a timer.

I haven't got any coral polyp macros but here is my image of the head of a (live) common housefly, Musca domestica at a reproduction ratio of about 3.5x lifesize:

And that photo would still have to be blown up for what I am needing. I would need to be able to zoom in on something like the eye facets. I can photograph the coral as a whole, or a section as a whole, reasonably clear. But what I am photographing can't enlarge to 400x without degrading at a level that seems a bit extreme for a 6mp lens, especially when a cheap 2 mp, that doesn't have a macro lens, appears to take better photos. And before you tell me to use that one, it's in Australia and I'm in the states.

I'm hoping a firm ware update will help with this, but finding a way to do that is proving difficult since Mac no longer supports whatever archive they are using and I am receiving an error when I unzip the file.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow