iPhone 11 Pro vs 1DXii Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,075
1DXII bad example but...

Dexter75 wrote:

These are really close, even in lower light which is crazy. Most trained photographers will be able to spot the iPhone shots because of the aggressive bokeh, not because the overall photo is inferior quality, but your average person would never be able to spot that. I think if he had edited the iPhone photos by increasing the aperture slider to more match the look of the bokeh in the 1DX, they would pretty indistinguishable. The bokeh in portrait mode looks too mushy and fake to me if the aperture is anything more than about f/4 in most shots. You really have to watch it and adjust accordingly.

The most surprising thing here to me was at the 4 minute mark. The iPhone nails the tricky lighting situations where the 1DX struggles and blows out the backgrounds and sky. It’s those things like smart HDR, Night Mode, and now Deep Fusion, that are making these smartphone cameras really good these days and in some cases, even better than high end cameras.

https://youtu.be/6irorkXCLyw

The 1DXII is not a particularly good example because it excels in areas the phones still cant touch, like shooting sports/wildlife with long teles. But a lot of other cameras are in trouble in such a comparison, especially if you use them only with slow kit lenses.

For instance, when I saw the new Nikon Z50 with the compact but slow 3.5-6.3 kit lens, I thought it might be a very nice travel camera. However, I have to think hard to find cases where an iPhone 11 pro wouldn't be equally good or better if I only used the kit lens of the Z50 (unless I want to make really large prints where the 20 mp sensor should beat the 12 mp sensor of the phone). The advantage of a real camera with a kit lens is that it is more ergonomic and much more pleasant to use, but how about the images? I am not so sure.
Beside the video above, you may want to check out the youtube video of Jared Pollins test of the iPhone, shooting a concert and printing out the results.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
tko
MOD Biggs23
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
(unknown member)
AOC
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow