Focus peaking, live view & Macro (...and IBIS?)

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
detritus Regular Member • Posts: 437
Focus peaking, live view & Macro (...and IBIS?)

Hi all, have read a few threads already which touched on the existing Z bodies for macro usage, mostly just stating that the Nikon 60 2.8 and 105 2.8 both work well, but rarely going into detail.

I have a 105 2.8G which I use on my D500 occasionally. Primarily I shoot birds/wildlife and would like the D500 to do these duties exclusively. I'm in the market for a body for macro, with occasional landscape and video, and was eagerly awaiting an APSC-C Z series. Macro for me would mostly be insects and reptiles out in the field.

The Z50 ticks most of the boxes I'd hope for. The retractable kit zoom actually suits my plan to have the camera stowed as a second body in the bag while hiking, and my only real gripes would be the battery (non EN-EL15) and potentially the lack of IBIS. Unsure how beneficial IBIS would be in a macro sense.

The other, and much, much cheaper option would be to pick up a used D7200 (there are several going cheap thanks to the Z releases). Nothing wrong with that picture, but I have a great DSLR and like the idea of the Z50 for all its relative strengths.

To those who have used the Z6/7 extensively for (handheld) already, do you find the mirrorless features especially useful? I'm imagining the focus peaking especially to be of real benefit, but don't see much discussion of it thus far! If it makes a big difference, I'd take the plunge and likely sell off the f-mount macro once a Z-mount macro is released!

(Short term,the budget won't quite stretch to one of the FX bodies unfortunately!)

detritus's gear list:detritus's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow