Re: iPhone 11 Pro vs 1DXii

New Day Rising wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

sluggy_warrior wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

How did the 1DXii do in the video in the shots with a subject in front of a window? Very poorly, it blew everything in the background out while the iPhone nailed it. The 1DX couldn’t even handle the following outdoor shots in the video with the guy under the tree, it blew out the sky while again, the iPhone nailed it. The iPhone has superior IQ to a $5500 full frame camera with a quality $2000 lens which is very impressive. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. With the iPhones Night Mode and an aftermarket lens, I wouldn’t assume the iPhone won’t even get a shot in the scenario you listed above.

What is your definition of IQ?

I hate to repeat myself here, but the only advantage a phone has is convenience. The software is smart enough to make the mediocre image looks decent, but there's nothing it can do that post-processing the RAW can't. A desktop software is much more powerful and have no real-time constraint.

The smartphone makes it easy for its user. The camera leaves the control and creativity to the photographer. If the photographer doesn't know how to shoot and process a backlit scene, s/he probably should just switch to using the smartphone if s/he doesn't want to invest time into learning/mastering her/his tool.

Sorry to everyone else, I'm bored at lunch and feel like feeding the trolls. Expecting FluidKnowledge and Brick Wall to jump in soon

My definition of IQ is reading a scene and delivering a quality photo and thats where the iPhone has the advantage.

That's the definition of good auto-modes, not the definition of good image quality.

Things like Smart HDR, Deep Fusion and Night Mode. We have all sat there with a DSLR or mirrorless fussing with our settings in a heavily backlit scene like the window shots in that video.

No, I just use a little pop of fill-flash.

The iPhone nails it with no fussing, point and shoot, thats superior IQ.

No, that's superior convenience. Maybe you thought IQ stood for something other than image quality?

The shot with the guy in front of the tree came out better on the iPhone too. While the camera is just shooing one image, the iPhone has already taken several images before you have even taken the shot and then takes several more, analyzes and combines them all and gives you the best shot within a second. Thats superior IQ and a camera can not even come close to matching that tech.

One thing I hate about shooting with cell phones is that it's just so darned slow. I can often get several shots at several different focal lengths and framing while the person next to me is unlocking their phone, and that's starting with a camera that's off.

Depending on what I've been doing with the phone previously (ie, what apps have been running) unlocking the phone, opening the camera app and being ready to take a photo takes between 3 and 5 seconds.

I fail to see the problem or how you are taking several photos at different focal lengths in that time (even if you aren't bothering about composition).

From camera off to several shots taken at different focal lengths and framing can be 1-2 seconds.

1-2 seconds for several shots at different focal lengths and different framing? I don't believe you.

It's still true.

Even if it is true, that is the very definition of 'snapshots'. Not even any pretence of trying to compose.

False.

It often

"often"? I don't believe you.

Hundreds of times a year.

takes the person next to me 30 seconds to a minute to get one shot on a cell phone.

There is nothing inherent to modern smartphone camera technology that would require 30 seconds just to turn on the phone, open the camera app and be ready to shoot. Perhaps they are bothering to take time over their composition. Some people do that.

No, they are fiddling with the phone trying to get it to work. Bad ergonomics, pinch zoom and touch screens are slow.

This can be a problem if they're between me and what I want to shoot and I have to stand there waiting for them to move

You have to wait for 30 seconds!!!!

For each person in front of me at each display in each museum.

and especially if there's a line of them all doing the same thing.

Just be grateful they are not using a 'proper' camera and taking time to set up the shot, compose, make exposure adjustments, check focus. And just imagine if they were setting up an ILC on a tripod!! The horror!!!

And yet, I can do all that in a second or two, excluding the tripod.

I've had this happen many times especially at museums.

Appalling. Imagine people spending 30 seconds at a museum exhibit.

I once went to 11 museums on one trip. One of them was housed in four enormous hangers.

I thought all museum exhibits had a strict 10 second viewing time. How else are people supposed to get through an entire museum in less than an hour? It's almost like people are taking time to actually look at the exhibits, appreciate what is being presented there.

I suppose now you're going to tell us something bizarre, like your goal is to get through the museum as quickly as possible, photographing everything in 5 seconds or less so you can look properly at the exhibits in photos when you're back home. I hope not. That would be weird.

Well, if you have 5 hours to spend at a museum that has four huge buildings and thousands of individual exhibits, that approach is practical.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
tko
MOD Biggs23
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
(unknown member)
AOC
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow