Does your personal taste match

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,224
There's no accounting for taste...

This is something that I often say. Basically, one person might love a particular image and the next will hate it... and another not give it a second thought either way. You can chase what you think that more people are going to like... or you can do what I do and just try to produce the kind of images that you get excited about making. I don't want to get into another argument about whether or not photography can be considered an art, but if you should consider yourself an artist, or at least a creative person, then the journey is all about following your muse and not about satisfying an audience. In order to really allow yourself to be creative and to come up with your own style you need to be free from worrying about what people think of your work. If it's really good at least some people will relate to it, but maybe not so many. You hope that folks will like it, but that doesn't have to be your goal when you produce it...

Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about what other folks say about your work, just do what you like to do. Once you get to a place where you feel like you've developed a bit, get critiques from other folks, but make sure that they're people who can relate to what you do; someone who only listens to punk rock isn't necessarily going to be a very good judge of classical music and vice versa...

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow