See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
VideoPic
OP VideoPic Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Re: See this really interesting interview with Olympus....

JakeJY wrote:

VideoPic wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

VideoPic wrote:

I also thought these paragraphs were interesting.

What I also found interesting when studying a number of interviews was Olympus explaining how their early acceptance of the mirrorless camera as their future market helped them to gain market share in a generally declining market. This happened on two levels, one they managed to maintain quantity levels in those lines they were targeting while competitors lost quantity sales and on another level they managed to increase marketshare. This was very interesting to learn.....

On the volume market they talk about the PEN:

"Our main problem is therefore how to attract beginners to the photography market. That's why we try for example with our Pen series to have very attractive features for women for example. In Asia, these trends have been successful. We must therefore work to create products with attractive features for the younger generation."

I know here on enthusiast forums people don't care about selfie screen, the color selections, and disagree with the decision to remove the accessory port (and thus EVF option) in exchange for a pop-up flash. I totally see these sorts of decisions making an impact on the actual volume market for these types of cameras. Same thing with the reaction of horror on it having a 16MP sensor, when I doubt the target market really cares that much (vs having a lower price tag as a result).

Interesting....do you really think youngsters care about a "great" 16MP sensor and loosing the pop up flash for a clip on EVF? Picture this.....this lovely young lady vlogging away with her EPL9 or 10 with this hunk of a EVF clipped into the EPL9? Personally I think they might prefer the pop up flash.....

On the other hand somebody expecting an EM1X in a EPL9 body might ask for a clip in EVF?

To clarify, my point is those people really don't care about the EVF or the sensor. So Olympus is making decisions that address that market better, even though the enthusiasts here may disagree.

Maybe you should let Olympus know how important your opinion is....? At least they need to listen?

-- hide signature --

See my Blog for general articles on the Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and other cameras.
https://myolympusomd.blogspot.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olympus_enthusiast/

VideoPic's gear list:VideoPic's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow