How to act in a bad situation

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
klokan031 New Member • Posts: 12
How to act in a bad situation

On my summer EU roadtrip (for which I might post some photos, as soon as I have time to process them) I encountered one situation in which I wasn't sure how to react.

London, 11PM, near Borough Market. We are walking towards our hotel, when we encounter a situation. There is a building, and few stairs in front. One homeless white woman was obviously very, very drunk, she fell down that concrete stairs and, from what I've seen, hit her head badly. She's lying on her back, with no signs of life. Her eyes very, very wide open, no breathing, completely lifeless. Shocking sight to see, but there is more that adds to the story.

Half meter from her, on the same stairs, her broken bottle, glass pieces around, and alcohol that created a little flow down the stairs...

Close to her are some other homeless people, and it seems they can't do anything, they are not even trying, she just lies there. Their life is miserable and you can see it, you can feel it. I can't do anything. Someone, few meters away, calls an ambulance.

Few meters further, there are 5-6 black people, in a circle. And they are praying for that woman.

My wife pulls the kids (they shouldn't look at these scenes) and I have my X-T3 and, I believe, 16mm f/1.4 on it. I can have it out of my bag in a few seconds. Should I take a picture or not?

It was a moment to decide. So many thoughts going through my head, mixture of shock, feeling sorry, wishing to tell a story with my photo, wanting to help that woman (although I know I can't)...

Pull the camera out or not? Take a photo or not?

I decided not to, that woman had a horrible moment and I decided to respect that. I stayed there a little longer, eventually, she started breathing, little by little, I don't know what happened later. I think that photo would be very dramatic, almost like a warning sign of what can happen, how poor lives these people have, how lucky we all are that we have our own roof and warm place to be, our people that care about us... And these homeless people (there are many of them in every big city) struggle every single day... A lot of thoughts just mixing and swirling, it was a truly shocking situation.

But no photo.

Would you take it?

klokan031's gear list:klokan031's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
fad
fad
fad
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow