Help needed: Nikon flash setup with meter Sekonic L-358

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
qianjin Regular Member • Posts: 130
Help needed: Nikon flash setup with meter Sekonic L-358

I need some help on how to meter the flash light output using Sekonic L-358 with a setup like below:

Nikon D810 + SB800 + SB910.

Both flash are mounted off the camera. The camera flash is set as a commander mode where the popup flash set as "---" meaning no flash but only triggering. The group A and B are both configured as "M" manual with respective output, i.e. 1/2 and 1/4. Both SB800 and SB910 are configured as remote mode with respective groups, i.e. A and B.

When I shoot the camera both flashes fire properly, nice. However, when I meter the output using L-358 with "flash" mode (the second icon on top), the output is always ridiculously low, so low that the meter itself complains no measuring. I am sure both flashes work perfectly because when I test fire the flash the meter can measure the output accordingly. SB910 can be set with different testing output and the L-358 reflects those setting in test fire. Only when the flashes are triggered by the popup flash from the camera, the output seems not measurable.

I am sure both meters and the flashes are fine, because by adjusting the output manually on the camera flash commander I can see the effects in the pictures taken. Only measurable problem!

Did I do something wrong? if so, how to meter the light in this situation?

Thanks.

qianjin's gear list:qianjin's gear list
Sony RX100 II Leica Q2 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +4 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow