Eastern Sierra Foliage

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bathgate
bathgate Senior Member • Posts: 2,428
Eastern Sierra Foliage

Just got back from my first trip to the Sierra specifically for fall color.  I moved up and down the Hwy 395 corridor, based first in Lee Vining and then moved down to Bishop.  Overall, I moved from Bridgeport and Twin Lakes in the north to Big Pine (for Coppertop BBQ!) in the south.  I didn't make it to the Alabama Hills on this trip.

I think I was probably about a week to 10 days past peak in most places.  Locals told me that there had been a hard freeze about a week before that killed a lot of the leaves.

I was a bit surprised by how dominant yellow is in the foliage palette.  Most of the hardwood in the Sierra seems to be either aspen or cottonwood and they all seem to turn pretty much the same color at the same time.  I'm originally from New England and grew up with the color variations provided by the oaks and maples.

C&C invited.  In no particular order.

bathgate's gear list:bathgate's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow