S90 - It's Alive....

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 664
S90 - It's Alive....

This past weekend, I was cleaning my office and came across my old S90. I bought it in 2010 in advance of a work trip to Brazil and Argentina. I needed something relatively small with half decent IQ. It served me well for years until it got drenched during full flow commissioning of a deluge system (the ziplock bag wasn't perfectly sealed as I walked the system to confirm proper operation). The camera never worked right since - sometimes the lens would extend, sometimes not. I tried drying multiple times and nothing made any difference. So, camera and battery went into the box on the shelf and I found a cheap RX100 as a replacement.

Was planning on trashing the whole lot when I came across it, but what the heck - charged the battery - and turned it on. Started right up. Had to set the date but the camera works perfectly. I guess it needed 7 years of drying.....

Candidly, I tended to use the camera for snapshots. Output was always JPG's, but had a pleasing color palette. It was a huge step forward above cell phone cameras at the time. Perfect size for a take anywhere camera. Have no hard data, but the RX100 always seemed more fragile than the S90, although I wouldn't want to drop either onto concrete....  And the IQ of the RX100 is undoubtedly better. But the Canon was a perfect tool that gave me years of reliable service. Not sure how I'll use it now, but you can never have too many cameras....

Some representative samples

Lake Superior

Argentina

High Line - NYC

the aforementioned deluge test

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow