However hard you try, a pigs ear can't be.....

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dweeble Regular Member • Posts: 137
However hard you try, a pigs ear can't be.....

turned into a silk purse.

Coming to the conclusion that although it's incredibly tempting to fiddle with all the lovely tools in Darktable and RawTherapee and GIMP and NX-D and Irfanview (all free, you will notice) basically my pictures are good enough OOC or I cocked up - either badly mis-exposing, or mis-focusing, or pushing my camera's limited high ISO capabilities too far.

And no amount of post will turn a basically bad picture into a good 'un. Vive le JPEG!

Discuss.

PS The above with the disclaimer that I'm not a landscape photographer, or a product photographer, or a high-end fashion photographer......

PPS For what it's worth, I find that GIMP is brilliant for basic curves and simple cloning, humble Irfanview for re-szing and a bit of sharpening and I am loving the control points in NX-D for whizzing up skies or toning down grass......

Dweeble's gear list:Dweeble's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow