Increase ISO vs ETTL(left) and process later?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sjs9828 Regular Member • Posts: 213
Increase ISO vs ETTL(left) and process later?

I had often read that exposing to the right is a common way to make sure that they dynamic range of the camera is utilized, but sometimes I think to do that without increasing my ISO too much, my exposure settings would not be ideal (ss too slow or aperture too large). So, in these instances I tend to expose to the left and brighten things up when processing and I have a bit more control over things.

I don't hear as much about exposing to the left and wonder if that might be a helpful point for people who are worried about noise being created increasing ISO.

Perhaps the discussion is geared more to people who are not going to process (maybe a beginner or maybe someone that needs OOC results) and are just trying to get shots sent off quickly, and that's okay. However, I had to learn this on my own since I don't think I saw it specifically addressed.

Or maybe I'm missing something (which I suspect as reading through some recent posts) by looking at it this way.

Just thinking.

sjs9828's gear list:sjs9828's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 80D +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow