UWA Perspective Correction

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael W00d Contributing Member • Posts: 985
UWA Perspective Correction

In a thread discussing UWA lenses in another forum:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4435758
one of the posts has a 42 Mp image taken by dcstep with a 12-24mm lens at 12mm. Obviously wide-angle distortion is important when deciding on one’s choice of lens, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to test my software.

My experience of WA is limited to 15mm or 16mm and I currently have the Sony 16-35mm F4 lens. Using LR 6 + Corel PSP, perspective correction is usually OK. The output may sometimes be vertically compressed. If so, I increase canvas size and stretch the image upwards until a good effect is achieved.

However when I applied perspective correction to this image results were completely unacceptable (see below). With the edges pulled back to vertical, the centre is ‘thinified’ (unsurprising). But by far the worst effect is vertical elongation of the original upper 2/3 of the image, combined with elongation of the globes on the LHS of the picture in a NW/SE plane. The roof area now occupies a proportionately much larger area of the whole. I can find no way to correct this vertical elongation effect, which I have never experienced before.

Perhaps people with other software could give the original a try and show us what results can be obtained.

Michael

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow