External TB3 storage (SSD)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
OP MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,250
USB?

There are a lot more USB3.x options for enclosures than real TB3 options. Making it confusing is that many of the USB3.x enclosures advertise as being "Thunderbolt 3 (compatible)", which due to the use of the USB-C connector... makes them technically correct. Caveat emptor, indeed!

When I am stressing the assembly I put together, it gets quite hot. So much so that I am pretty sure that using the heat sink as I did is probably a "really good idea", and that to have assembled it with the cover (as intended) would probably lead to thermal throttling. When yours gets hot, have you noticed any speed issues?

Ultimately, it is good to have options. I have a USB3.1 dual HD dock, the kind that fit a pair of "old fashioned" 3.5 inch spinning drives sticking up and exposed. I have a pair of 3T drives in that, mirrored, and use it for backups. It works perfectly for that use, and cost a lot less than my 2T Frankenstein monster despite a larger size and redundancy. I don't think it would work very well for 42M photos being edited in LR, or edited in something else where I might be combining multiple images in some way (PS, Affinity, etc).

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow