Is it okay to take photos of artists' works at a public festival?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,542
Re: Is it okay to take photos of artists' works at a public festival?

AZBlue wrote:

Agree that my mistake was not asking first, I will certainly do so if I'm ever in this situation again. I was caught up in the fun of it all and did not think to ask since I saw others photographing his work without objection. Having a pro-level camera with a big lens seems to have been the differentiator. Something about my equipment set off an alarm bell with the artist, even though I was only shooting for my own personal fun and enjoyment. Granted, he had no way of knowing my intentions.

This was an interesting exercise for me in how I see myself versus how others see me when I'm out in public shooting. Thank you for the great responses to my post!

it's hard to know why people react the way they do. The artist may have just been having a bad day - or he may have been burned in the past. But either way it doesn't seem like you were out of line - some people are just touchy. And pro-level gear does raise the stakes for certain people. Even sports arenas and concert venues often have different photography rules based on the type of gear - and of course, intended use of the images. Cellphones are OK; DSLR's/ILC with a lens over a certain length not OK.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow