$1200 for E-M5 III is cheap

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,683
$1200 for E-M5 III is cheap

For those of you who used to shoot film (or still do) you will recall the much higher price we used to pay for photography. I got my first 35mm SLR more than 45 years ago. I owned 3 different manual focus 35mm SLRs, but then when AF started to become the norm I got my first AF SLR in 1988. Think back to the late 1980s, 1990s, and up to when digital really started taking off around 2002 or so. My 35mm AF SLRs used non-rechargeable batteries (bigger than the battery in the E-M1 II, PEN-F, etc.) that cost about $12-14 including tax. They generally were good for 10-20 rolls of 36 exposure film. The slide film I used in the 1990s (Kodachome 64, Ektachrome Elite 100, Fujichrome 100, etc.) cost around $5-8 (including tax) a roll for 36 exposures. Then it cost generally around $6-8 a roll to get the slide film processed. One roll of slide film in total cost about $11-16 for 36 photos. So, for, say, on average 540 photos or so we used one of those expensive batteries and 15 rolls of 36 exposure film and that comes to about $250 for 540 photos. This, of course, does not include the cost of cameras and lenses. It is just the cost of the materials needed to make use of the cameras and lenses. If I use 1993 as an example (I used more film than usual that year) and adjust for inflation that $250 in 1993 is $445 in 2019 dollars. For just 540 photos!

The cost of most digital cameras makes photography so much cheaper than it used to be. And even the digital cameras have similar prices to film cameras. For example, $1200 now is about $675 in 1993. I paid close to that for an AF SLR body that year and it wasn't even one of the more expensive ones.

I did similar calculations in 2002 when I was trying to decide whether I would spend $1080 for my Minolta D7i. As soon as I did them I realized it was a bargain.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow