On1/Luminar or PS? Or all three?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 226
On1/Luminar or PS? Or all three?

With the release of On1 2020, and the release of Luminar 4 on November 11, it seems to me that for most photo development and enhancement purposes Photoshop would be a waste of money. I believe the collective price for On1/Luminar is something like $180, and these programs should be sophisticated enough for most people to effectively be up-to-date for four years. Over that same time period PS/Lightroom would cost $480, a difference of about $300 or so, and Adobe's programs would vanish after the lease period has expired.

I've owned On1 and Luminar from the get-go, and have paid for the upgrades, but in my situation at least, I'm still willing to pay an extra $10 per month to have Photoshop as well. The reason is that I'm very highly creative, and having all the creative capabilities of these programs conveniently at hand is simply impossible without Photoshop.

Photoshop still has features that the other programs don't have, but far more important is its ability to be a central processing hub. When I open a RAW file in Photoshop I can easily send that file to On1, Luminar, most Topaz filters and Nik, make changes and have the results sent back into Photoshop. None of the other photo development programs can do that.

I think On1 is the best RAW processing program available for consumers today, and Luminar is capable of enhancing photos in special ways that other programs can't, but it gets tiring having to save the results from one program, closing it down and opening that photo in another program, saving the results and closing down, etc. etc. etc. And so I put up with Photoshop. But if anyone can think of a better setup for photographers who want to be deeply creative, by all means share your information.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow