Which camera is best for this type of image: SD1 Merrill or SD Quattro H?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP rsant Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: Which camera is best for this type of image: SD1 Merrill or SD Quattro H?

dlj wrote:

rsant wrote:

Yes, I always work under controlled conditions (ISO 100, twin and/or circular Flash).

The Merrills will need good lighting more than the Quattros (and low ISO), so a ring light typical to a dentists's camera would be ideal for light distribution, but what is the spectral coverage of your flash output? That might have an impact too. I used to have to assess an awful lot of dental images for different qualities, and my hunch is that with a brightly lit Merrill, you should pick up the subtle bluishess from veins and the red differentiation-from-magenta from the arterioles and inflammation too. It should also be good at picking up the slight shadows and discolourations in the teeth. Plus you'll get detail and microcontrast to the pixel, even being able to play with it a little bit in post if you especially needed to emphasize it for a presentation or publication.

If anything, I would sometimes need to do a lot of post processing trying to remove red and blue natural blotchiness and veins beneath skin from my Foveon portraits in broad spectrum bright lighting, so you're going to have a field day with these!

Thanks for the info dlj! Any suggestion among the Merrills? Dp3 or SD1?

rsant's gear list:rsant's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dlj
dlj
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow