Noise Reduction in High-ISO portrait without eating up all the skin/hair texture?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheAthenA714 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Noise Reduction in High-ISO portrait without eating up all the skin/hair texture?

Hey everyone!

I'm a concert photographer, and as such I often find myself taking pictures of members of the audience in very very dark conditions. I'm routinely playing with 6400 or 12800 ISOs, and even though the A7III that I'm using is good in low-light, it's still a lot of noise.

I usually do just a minimal noise reduction in lightroom, but I'm not very advanced. I just turn up the luminance noise reduction and that's it. I still keep a lot of noise present, because if I push it too far it starts to blur the skin/hair/beard texture. I'm usually happy with the results, especially since it often ends up on instagram/facebook so who cares about a bit of noise, but I'd still like to know if there's any better way for the occasional picture that I really like.

Would anyone have a link to some guide/course/video about that specific kind of noise reduction? I'm not opposed to using photoshop or even some plugins if it gets a better job done.

Thanks in advance!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow