riveredger Veteran Member • Posts: 3,558
Re: Ways to try gear.

Michael Fryd wrote:

riveredger wrote:

pcrc11 wrote:

riveredger wrote:

pcrc11 wrote:

scrup wrote:

buy from Amazon and return if its not what you expect.

No shame in doing it. Amazon will sell it through their warehouse as open box item. Someone will get a deal, you get to try a lens risk free.

So who eats the loss?? Not only is the retailer out the diminished value of the item but also out the shipping cost both ways. I know, who cares, it is Amazon, surely the biggest retailer in the world can absorb a few dollars without a hurt to their bottom line. However this type of behavior has also crept into all the other online selling platforms where you most likely are dealing with a small individual seller and not a faceless corporation.

This is the cost of doing business in today's world. Note that these companies are not paying for stores and all of the associsted costs.

Shoplifting was considered the "cost of doing business" when you had a brick and mortar store in "yesterdays world". A scumbag is a scumbag no matter how you want to justify it.

The entire commerce model has changed . If retailers do not have stores with demo models, how can a consumer know if a priduct meets her needs before buying it? One cannot rely on the marketing materials from manufacturers, which claim every feature is amazing. Shoplifting is theft. Returns are policy.

There's a question of intent. Did you buy the product with the expectation of keeping it, or were you simply looking for a free rental?

Consider a photographer in a big city. He only shoots on weekends. Instead of buying a camera to keep, each Friday he goes to a different store, and purchases the same model camera, uses it all weekend, and then returns it on Monday. If there are enough camera stores around (and this includes "big box" stores that carry cameras) he never has to buy a camera.

Is this a reasonable/moral thing to do?

====

If there are no physical stores in your area, and you are picky about what model camera you buy, then you should do a bit of research. Don't simply trust marketing materials, actually download the manual for the camera to see how the features are actually supposed to work. Read online reviews from others who actually have the camera.

Then, if it seems that it's the right camera for you, order it. If after opening the package you discover some unforeseen issue, then return the camera.

However, buying and returning cameras as a way of renting them is an abuse of the system.

Some people start their evaluation by buying a camera as their first step in the evaluation process. I think this is an abuse of the system. Do some research first. Don't buy the camera until you have determined that there is a reasonable chance that you will keep it.

====

Personally, I read reviews and manuals. If I have friends with the gear, I ask them about their experiences and see if I can borrow it. I'm a CPS member, so if it's Canon gear, they will loan it to me. I am fortunate enough to have local camera stores where I can go and hold the camera in my hand. By the time I purchase the camera, there's a really good chance I am going to keep it.

Agreed.  My opinion is based upon the intention of buying and keeping.

riveredger's gear list:riveredger's gear list
Canon G1 X III Samsung Galaxy S9+
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow