On the verge of buying a complete M43 system

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
javimarcelo Forum Member • Posts: 52
On the verge of buying a complete M43 system

Hi.

I've almost made the decision of buying a E-M1 Mark II. I can get what seems to be a good deal locally from a brick and mortar store: E-M1 Mark II body + Zuiko 12-40 2.8 Pro + Capture One Pro (349€ value) for a total of 1990€ (VAT included). It even includes a free pro master class at the store from an Olympus rep with pro tips about customizing the camera and taking advantage of the poweful options the E-M1 offers.

I was waiting for the introduction of the E-M5 Mark III, but after testing the E-M5 Mark II in the store, I actually like the feel of the E-M1 Mark II a lot more. Even my girlfriend that has small hands said that the E-M1 was much more comfy to hold and felt better "more pro" in the hands (she doesn't know a thing about photography).

Knowing the specs and the price point of the E-M5 Mark III, it makes a lot of sense for me to go with the E-M1 Mk II. I haven't found a better value for this combo; only on Amazon a UK seller offers a better price, but I don't know about the warranty (gray market maybe?), and no Capture One is included. Is it a good deal?.

I like the M43 system for the small size/weight. I owned a Canon 350D and I have used a Canon 5D Mark II and a Sony A7II. All of them felt huge with the lenses I used. I switched to a film Leica M6 and primes and was really happy with it, but after ten years, film has become a nuissance for me, but the form factor and size/quality was fantastic.

I'm looking for other alternatives, but I don't see any as even Fuji (a system I really like) has huge lenses in comparison to M43.

My plan is buying the E-M1 + 12-40 and then add a small and light long tele (Zuiko 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R for instances), and then some primes to use the camera "Leica style"-prime-only way, like the UWA Laowa 7.5, the Zuiko 45 1.8 and 25 1.8, with the 12-40 as a "workhorse" lens.

I have one problem with this though. After much reading, it seems that M43 system might be facing difficult (to put it mildly) times ahead. It's also true for all camera manufactures, I know, but I really fear that after dropping 3000€+ on this system, it could just dissapear.

I don't know if buying into another system could be a better decision, but I haven't found a system that meets my size/weight/price criterium better than M43.

Thanks for your advice.

Best regards.

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N) Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow