Question about stabilization on the TG series

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Senior Member • Posts: 2,710
Re: Question about stabilization on the TG series

smithaa02 wrote:

Enders Shadow wrote:

smithaa02 wrote:

So for TG owners, what are your thoughts on video stabilization? Pro's and con's of having it on or off?

Movie mode stabilization is electronic only and it slightly crops the video. It's not particularly effective, but it will help smooth out slow and subtle camera movements.

Thanks for the feedback. I did some testing with this... The crop on the TG-6 actually seems somewhat significant. Also video with stabilization on seems less crisp and a bit more smudged. But it is more stable...you are right it doesn't help with significant movements, and for that I'll likely turn it off, but it will reduce that slight jitter which can drive me crazy. Hopefully the TG-7 will implement sensor based stabilization for their video.

I measured the crop due to video IS. It narrows the field of view to something around the equivalent of 28-30mm.

Don't hold your breath on any sort of hybrid IS on a TG-7. The IS system hasn't changed since the TG-1. Cameras like the GoPro Hero 7 & 8 also only use electronic stabilization. But those are getting close to gimbal type performance.

What about image stabilization? Are the any times where it helps to leave it off?

For still images, it uses 2-axis sensor shift. It's rated at a meager 2.5 stops. If the camera is tripod mounted and you're doing longer exposures or a timelapse sequence, disable IS. Otherwise, just leave it on.

By chance do you know if stabilization is used when shooting burst?

Yes, IS remains functional during sequential shooting. But, if you are shooting some sort of action sequence, a fast shutter speed is more important. IS can only help with camera movements and does nothing for subject motion.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow