OMD EM1 MKII vs Fuji XT1

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
derelict1 New Member • Posts: 14
OMD EM1 MKII vs Fuji XT1

First, let me state that I hate the idea of making a thread like this. I am an adult, I can make a decision...but here, I obviously cannot. I am looking for a small (er than a DSLR) set up that I can use to shoot all things. I have a Nikon D610 and while it is a fantastic camera, I find myself really not wanting to use it due to its size. Slap a 24-70 on there and it is rather large. I will be keeping some of the lenses as they cross with my F4 and F5 but the body just does not appeal to me anymore.

I find myself wishing that I had stuck with my M4/3 stuff from years ago. I had an EM10 and it was perfectly sized for everything and very quick to use. I left it for the 'bigger sensor is obviously better' syndrome and while there are aspects to that sentiment that are true, the honest truth behind it is that the absolute largest I have ever printed anything is 11x14 and the size and weight of FX Nikon stuff just is not worth it to me.

Now, to the question at hand. I would be purchasing used. I like smaller DSLR style cameras with a grip so an XT2 or EM5 II/ III are not that interesting to me. Things that do matter to me are battery life, AF accuracy, and JPEGs. With the first two statements alone, the EM1 II is the leader. The JPEG part though leans the Fuji way as well as the ability to isolate the subject just a little more due to sensor size. I am not running around shooting things at 1.4 on my D610, but I am usually somewhere around 2.8 usually. I am also a fan of weather sealing as this camera would be used to take photos of mountain bike racing where things are dusty and wet a decent amount of the time. One thing to note is that I do not shoot video. Stills only really. If I am going to record something, it will probably be one my phone honestly.

Each one has its pros and cons and I can deal with them. I like them both and both would be great all around, do anything cameras. The XH1 is less expensive right now by a couple hundred bucks but the EM1 II has the ability to do some really cool things like Live Composite.

Nikon D610 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow