Please help me identify this mount

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
theopwildebeest
OP theopwildebeest Regular Member • Posts: 175
Re: Please help me identify this mount

petrochemist wrote:

theopwildebeest wrote:

Hi all,

I’m new to adapted lenses. I’m familiar with Nikon and u4/3 mounts. I was rummaging around at my dad’s house and came across thiS Sun 80-240 mm f/ 4 Macro telephoto zoom lens. It is a beast of a lens with all metal construction. It was available in C/Y, Canon FD, FDn, Konica AR, M42, Nikon F, Olympus OM, Pentax K, Minolta SR (MD, MC). I think the mount is an M42 but wanted to make 100% sure before I order an adaptor for it.

Thanks

Other than M42 those are all bayonet mounts, yours is clearly a screw mount so it's confirmed as M42.

Thank you! That’s makes it easy...

Without your list of available mounts a quick check of the screw thread diameter (~42mm) & 'pitch' (the distance from the top of one thread to the top of the next) would confirm the ID. M42 is 1mm pitch, while T2 is also 42mm diameter but with a finer 0.75mm pitch.

Thats one thing I read about that concerned me, possible T2 mount. As far as I can tell the lens was not made in a T2 mount but measuring the pitch is easy enough to do.

The lens will adapt easily to µ4/3 but would have focus issues on a Nikon DSLR unless the adapter has corrective elements (often claimed to spoil IQ)

The mounts I mentioned are ones I am familiar with and can recognize. I plan to mount this on a Sony A7. Any suggestions on an M42 to E adapter? I read that some may not have a flange for depressing the M42 tab that holds the aperture blades closed.

theopwildebeest's gear list:theopwildebeest's gear list
Sony a7 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow