Need help with focusing issue.

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 1,260
Re: Need help with focusing issue.

charley5 wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

charley5 wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I am having a frustrating time with a focusing issue and I need help to solve it. I focus on the face of the person initially by pressing down the shutter half way. Then, because I want the face to be at the top third of the frame, I move the camera (with the shutter still half-way depressed) usually to chest level, and press all the way down. Their chest then is well focused in the final image but their face is not. This is really frustrating. I have lost several good shots in this way. What may be the problem? I use single point focusing and 9 squares. Thanks for any suggestions. Here are two examples:

Not really a focusing issue, it's an operator thing. . . can you not use a single AF point and move the AF box to the face?

I don't see a lot wrong with these, anyway.

Hi. The faces are soft and the chest area is sharp. I will place the focus area on the face, it is just that it is time consuming and kids are not patient!

You can move the focus box to where you want the face to be in the frame before you even raise the camera. If I’m shooting people I will move the the focus box to the top third of the frame for both vertical and horizontal orientations - the camera can be set to remember where you set the point for each orientation so that you don’t have keep moving it every time you flip your camera around. It can speed things up a bit - your focus box will always be in the ballpark to start.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow