External TB3 storage (SSD)

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230
External TB3 storage (SSD)

I have a new Mac Mini, I bought it souped up by maxing out the CPU, memory, and ethernet options. I skimped on the internal drive, I got a 512G SSD instead of the 1TB option (I thought Apple's prices were a little stiff). I load new photos onto the hard drive, then after culling, processing, and exporting a set (LR), I move the set to my NAS.

Needless to say, I ran out of room on the internal drive. The NAS still has about 13T of free space, so if need be I can work on new sets off of that. Despite my Mac having a 10G ethernet port, I have yet to upgrade the rest of my network. Working on 40M files in LR, off the NAS on a GB network is not so slow to be painful... but... I'd prefer local storage

Solution: a 2TB Thunderbolt3 NVMe drive! I bought the parts on Amazon and assembled it myself:

These high capacity NVMe sticks can run hot, and when they do they can slow down (thermal throttling). So instead of putting the top on the enclosure I left it off and attached the heat sink. I'm not moving it around, and the resulting assembly is held quite firmly in place anyway. I can post pictures if anyone is interested (yeah, I own a camera).

Well... it works perfectly! I let it heat up (the heat sink gets hot) then ran a speed test, it is faster than the internal drive. To be fair, the internal drive is near capacity (and probably even hotter), but nonetheless the new drive is well worth the $400 I spent. I assume many other parts similar to the ones I bought would work just as well, as long as the NVMe stick is properly mated to the enclosure.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +24 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow