Texture photography for 3d modelling by complete novice

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
amp3rsand New Member • Posts: 1
Texture photography for 3d modelling by complete novice

Hi,

I am a web developer and I am building a furniture website. It will have a 3d product configurator. This is a model of the item, say a kitchen cabinet, that you can rotate in 3D and choose options and it updates etc.

This model has to be built in 3d and so I need lots of images. The client will have to take these images. Note, the images aren't used to build the model - that is completely from scratch. the images just help me see it. I also have a drawing and notes etc.

I am hoping the client will be able to take the general images well enough. They don't have to be super hi-quality, as I say I just need to be able to see the item. But I do need very accurate textures.

I am assuming my client doesn't have a super expensive DSLR and has no training etc. I am hoping he has a decent smartphone camera. What would be the best advice I can give him to take an image of a texture?

The image I need is a 100x100 pixel image. This will be repeated and overlaid like a skin over the model.

I am thinking things like - use a tripod or at least rest camera on something. Be in focus. Don't use the flash. Take it from about  'x' inches. Lighting from above - etc.

Thanks in advance - David.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow