thinking about an AF-S 400/2.8 on my Z7 for wildlife?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jambalawa Contributing Member • Posts: 832
thinking about an AF-S 400/2.8 on my Z7 for wildlife?

Hi just after peoples thoughts on this.

I'm into wildlife but never owned one of the big primes (too much $$).  I've owned the first 80-400, a 200-400 and the 200-500 and used them on various bodies from D2x to D500 and D800E.

I now only have a Z7 and I see a 2nd hand 400/2.8 for sale (cant rent them here) that I'm tempted to get.  Its an older AF-S II  (no VR etc).  A bit beat up externally but apparently good glass.

Can anyone else give me insights on how usable this would be?  I do like getting birds in flight and expect the AF on this to be a little slower than the D800E but I find I'm pretty good at tracking and reckon it would be ok?

I shoot larger birds in general - like egrets/herons/eagles etc..  or large animals..  so I think the reach would be ok.

I handhold these other lenses comfortably and hope to handhold this - am I dreaming?  I'm a big fella but not like a gym junkie...

Would the in body VR work well with it?

Always wanted one of the big primes with the beautiful clarity and bokeh etc...  I currently only have the 300/4 AF that works ok - its an old beat up lens also

A few old photos below to show my subject matter..

jambalawa's gear list:jambalawa's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +2 more
Nikon D2X Nikon D500 Nikon D800E Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow