Manual Focus Lens on Modern ILC Thread

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 17,748
Manual Focus Lens on Modern ILC Thread

Here's a thread for shots made with a purely manual focus lens on a modern digital camera that has autofocus.

I make lots of technical mistakes. Last week I took the Tamron 35-150 f/2.8-4.0 along as a second lens to use in Central Park. I like the longer focal length because the distances tend to be longer than on the streets.

When I put it on, I wondered why I put a Zeiss lens cap on it, but paid that no mind, as I struggled to get it out of manual focus. Nothing worked. The camera was set for AF. There seemed to me no MF/AF switch to flip. Finally, I looked at the front of the lens, and saw that I had actually taken the Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO Sonnar by mistake. I'd been meaning to use my manual focus lenses (Voigtlander 40/2, Otus 55/1.4 and the 135) doing street. So I kept it on and shot with it walking through the northern part of Central Park, until I left the park.

The Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO Sonnar is sometimes said to have Otus like qualities. Those qualities are not necessarily a big deal for street photos, but it's a different tool with different qualities that can be processed in different ways than other lenses.

It was a good place to practice focusing techniques, and the percentage of misfocused shots, even of moving subjects, gradually decreased as we walked along. I plan to shoot more MF now.    Although I've processed a fair number of shots with this lens and the Otus, on the street is a different matter.   So I'm on a learning curve in processing.

-- hide signature --

Frank
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/
Photos look better in Original Size
Shot in downtown Manhattan, mostly

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +23 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow