Need help with focusing issue.

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 1,244
Re: Need help with focusing issue.

getochkn wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

charley5 wrote:

FujiJon wrote:

Are you using continuous focus? If so, switch to single focus. Also, make sure the camera is set to "focus" not "release". It may help to select the focus point over the subject's face, rather than focus-recompose, or use face/eye detection (the latter is easier and quicker if you are photographing people)

This is great. I need to look at the manual for these settings for single focus and the focus not release setting. People seem to be critical of the accuracy of the face-eye detection.

The face/eye detect is pretty much worthless in the X-T2, but the single point focus box works fine.

I used a XT1 for an engagement party/photo booth and did about 700 photos and it nailed the face everytime.

A photo booth? OK, maybe that might work. I can’t think of many other situations that would though, certainly not many that I would trust to work consistently. Multiple subjects, moving subjects, anything that could be mistaken for a face, bad light etc. and the face detect will fail more often than not. The only time is does seem to work is when almost any other method would also work, and with likely greater precision.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow