No idea why people disparage this lens

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,537
because SLOW AF, Whiny Noise, compare against Panasonic 14/2.5 Pancake

DominicVII wrote:

The autofocus of this lens is somewhat sluggish, but always accurate.

I can say the same thing about my ancient Screw-Drive Minolta 50/1.7 lens. The focus is very sluggish + noisy (but) AF is always accurate. That maybe fine back in 1970~2000, but in 2019, Noisy AF lens is simply not acceptable anymore.

The problem against Olympus 17mm F/2.8 isn't the same noisy Panasonic 20/1.7, but the much CHEAPER QUIET and much Wider Panasonic 14mm f/2.5.  Mounting Panasonic 14/2.5 for the 1st time is like:

• you give you camera a shot of adrenaline
  • AF went up instantly like 10X
  • Gone are the AF hesitation when you hit the shuter
  • Gone are the AF slowness
  • Gone are the Noisy Whiney Motor
  • Everything is now Instantaneous + Silent + FAST!

The only thing I like about Olympus 17/2.8 over Panasonic 14/2.5 is its lovely ♥ Bokeh Rendering ♥, there is a softness in out-of-focus character in Oly that I find it lacking in Panasonic.  But after having been spoiled by the Instant AF of Panasonic 14/2.5 pancake, I simply can't go back to Slow Whiny lens anymore.

Ironically, this is the SAME reason why I stay with M43 instead of jumping into Fuji X-System now.  I tried the following Fuji X-lens:

• Fuji 18mm f/2.0
  • Fuji 27mm f/2.8 Pancake
  • Fuji 35mm f/2 (faster but not fast enough)
  • Fuji 35mm f/1.4

My 1st impression was, damn they so Whiny Noisy & Slow, reminding me of the snail like Olympus 17mm f/2.8 pancake I used to have.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow